Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Alessandra Branca and Me


Last night was an utterly wonderful evening. Last week I received an invitation from Alessandra Branca for cocktails in Georgetown to celebrate the debut of her new book New Classic Interiors. I suspected that the home where the event was to be held was one of my all time favorites that had been featured in Southern Accents a couple of years ago. Indeed it was! I was able to meet and talk to Alessandra who could not have been more charming and engaging. She is one of my favorite interior designers. Her timeless, classic, comfortable, yet fresh and modern approach, always with touches of my beloved Chinoiserie will stand the test of time. I had her sign one of her books for me of course. Her book was the number one item on my Christmas list. ALL proceeds of the book benefit inner city educational programs. Books ordered directly through Branca will be autographed by her. Click here. On top of it all, I discovered that she follows Chinoiserie Chic. All of this against the backdrop of the most beautiful home I have ever been in. Here is a little tour of the home as photographed for Southern Accents by Thibaut Jeanson.

Here I am in the living room with Alessandra's signature colors of yellow and red-here a gorgeous coral.


Her new book. A must for your Christmas wish list.


The exterior of this lovely 19th century Georgetown home as captured by Anne Harwell of Annechovie. This was a Christmas gift to the owners from a family member.


The entry with a classic bench upholstered in coral linen and curtains in Rose Cummings silk ticking banded in yellow.


The living room is a show stopper with its stunning yellow Fromental wallpaper, yellow silk curtains, and sofas in steel gray damask from Alessandra's own collection and coral velvet mohair. The coral is repeated in the pillows, lamp, and garden stool. Chinoiserie in the room can be found in the color palette, the wallpaper, the garden stool, and the black and gold Regency cocktail table. The room is classic yet modern.


A corner of the living room with a built in banquette. A perfect spot for reading the paper and having a cup of coffee.


The staircase with a graphic stair runner by David Hicks and black and white photography.


My favorite room-the family room with 16 foot ceilings, a palladian window overlooking the garden, and Chinoiserie abounding including the Chinese Chippendale chairs, garden stool, pagodas, black and gold wall brackets with Chinese porcelain, and the gorgeous botanical paintings by Alessandra's mother.


The sedate and elegant master bedroom with its hushed blues and pinks.


The adjoining sitting room in hot pink with Chinoiserie toile in chocolate brown and coral pink. This wonderful room overlooks the family room. Last night student musicians played lovely classical music from this room as we all sipped champagne and feasted on amazing food. Thank you so much to our wonderful hosts for opening their gorgeous home. I even found out that our hostess is a daily follower of Chinoiserie Chic. And a special thanks to Alessandra for including me in this wonderful evening.


34 comments:

  1. AMAZING!!! Sounds like a wonderful evening...that hot pink room is one of my absolute favorites...ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a bit of wonderment! Thanks to an early heads up from you, I pre-ordered this book and it was not a disappointment. Branca's zest for life comes through every page. And, like you, I was impressed by her generous heart. As a former fundraiser, you develop a great appreciation for the real, the generous, and the committed. You two look lovely together. Thanks for beautiful moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely evening for you! Her book looks amazing and makes for a fabulous gift. Wrapped up in some wonderful Chinoiserie wallpaper I think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great evening and a beautiful house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good golly, I love it all. The Fromental wallpaper, hot pink sitting room and David Hicks stair runner are highlights for me though. What a wonderful event to attend, Beth -- thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. banquette = yes, in my book! i love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Entry way - incredible. ♥Ms. Branca's work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beyond FABULOUS!!!!! I love that house! I love that book! I love that designer! I love this blog!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love, love this post! What divine interiors, the palladian window is to die for, and the pink coffee table is just fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like a wonderful night!! I got her book over the weekend and was glued to it for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wonderful night! gorgeous house! love Alessandra Branca's design! love that simple green wreaths decoration on the windows with berry bouquet!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aesthetic Oiseau-The entire home is stunning. You would have loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Home Before Dark-It was a thrill to meet her and she is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Averill-You have picked some of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kitty-I would love to do a banquette.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lady Jicky-And all my favorite colors.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Painted Preppy-Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Irina-Yes, I didn't mention the beautiful fresh flowers and wreaths.

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is absolutely gorgeous. Love it. and fun to see how all the rooms work together- because they are (to my untrained eye) different.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Southern Aspirations-It was gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Green with envy...what a treat!

    Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  22. I truly have a wonderful life and am rarely envious of anyone, BUT...I am rip roaring JEALOUS of you right now!!! What a fabulous experience!

    ReplyDelete