Thursday, December 31, 2009

Chinoiserie Chic on Cote de Texas


I have had a very stressful last week. The burglary was quite dramatic. As I worked in the garden, a door was kicked in and my house burglarized. When I went to change gloves, I saw the door and called for my dog who did not respond. Had she been killed? I called 911 from my iPhone. The police thought he was still in the house and searched it top to bottom closing down my street with neighbors gathering as I stood in the cold not knowing what had happened to my dog and house. I then spent Christmas week canceling and replacing all my credit cards, driver's license, checkbook, debit card, and every ID to my name. He also charged thousands on my credit cards which is a mess to straighten out. The police based on all the credit card transactions have him on video surveillance at Target and issued a press release with his photo. The story was on all local television stations and The Washington Post. Nevertheless, I learned yesterday that this brazen and "inglorious basterd" burglarized a third neighbor on Monday. Just yesterday my door was replaced.

All this intro was to make the point that I really needed some good news. I was thrilled to awaken this morning and find that Joni at Cote De Texas was so very kind to pick my Pagoda Bedroom as one of The Top Ten Best Renovations of 2009. Thanks a million for this sweet honor. Please check out the post here. I know that Joni is the exemplar to most of us in the design blogosphere for the quality, research, amazing attention to detail and work that goes into each of her posts. Thanks Joni! Your timing could not have been better. My goal will be to have my laundry room renovation be on her list for 2010. And this time I will do before shots too! Thanks to Jenny at Little Green Notebook for her mention of my laundry room post as well. Click here. And congratulations to Jenny on the new baby.

Thanks to each of you who follow Chinoiserie Chic. Having just launched in May of this year, I am amazed by how it has taken off and by how much fun I am having with it. The perks are truly wonderful-interior design books, invitations to design events around D.C., meeting top interior designers, meeting other D.C. bloggers. But the two best things are being able to express my creativity, love for design and love for writing and the interaction I have with all my followers. Each email and comment means so much to me. I have always valued quality over quantity and could not care less about statistics and the number of hits I get. Followers of this blog include top interior designers, design bloggers, artists and sophisticated people all over the world who are so lovely to send me photos, ideas, comments and emails about how much they too love Chinoiserie and my blog. As this year ends, thanks to each of you. I have so much planned for this blog in 2010 and hope you will continue with me on this fun adventure. Happy New Year.













14 comments:

  1. Oh no I am so sorry to hear this!! It is so frightening and such an ordeal.
    I Am so happy that Joni (she is the best) chose you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a horrible experience!! I can't think of something that scares me more than a break-in. I'm so glad you're safe!!

    I hope your New Year's week fares better!

    hugs,
    jenny

    PS Your bedroom is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are definitely rockin' this blog, Beth! I so look forward to each new post, opening even more wonderful windows into the world of chinoiserie! Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought when I saw the Cote de Texas mention of your renovation, lovely for the attention and for the timing. What a generous way to end the holy hell of this breaking and entering nightmare. I hope it helps you to remember that your blog matters, your words matter, but most of all, you matter. We are so very glad you and your dog were not harmed. I still think he might be a cross dressing SOB since he KNEW the best stuff was in your dressing room!

    Please forgive me if this is totally inappropriate for all of the grief you have gone through, but it shows the way blogworld works across time and space. I was in Home Depot to get a new pry bar for a bathroom demo project and there it was, through the ether from you to me a remembrance of a shared moment: the all new "breaking and entering fu bar." I tried to explain it to my husband why the site of this made me laugh and cry.

    All the best to you in the year to come, and as you have said, "Hope that find that bastard."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth - I'm saddened that you had to experience the the horrific results of a burglary and picking up all the pieces. I hope your dog was okay? I've heard it's the worst feeling of violation. I am thrilled that the week came to the end with Joni's tremendous appreciation of your gorgeous bedroom. Your blog is magnificent and you have much to look forward to in this new year. So, ring in 2010 with great abandon and joy this evening. Sending you a huge hug, x deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Majesty,

    I am HORRIFIED that this has happened to you and my heart and prayers are with you. Especially the loss of your beloved pet. May God protect you and yours my dear friend!! My heart is breaking for you at this time. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

    A million blessings for you,
    Daisy
    Lapetitplume.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karena-Thank you so much and a very happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenny-Thanks so much for stopping by and congrats on the beautiful new baby.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vickie-Thank you for all your support and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Home Before Dark-Thank you for all your support and for your always welcome and insightful comments. A very Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deb-So sorry about the loss of your mother. Hope that 2010 is a better year for everyone. Thanks for all your support.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Daisy-Thanks for stopping by. Sorry to have overly alarmed you. I had said in an earlier post that my dog Izzy was fine-just hiding.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Omg, Beth, I feel awful that I'm just learning about this. My home was burglarized when I was younger and I remember being so frightened for so long. Such a violation.

    Kudos to you for staying positive and keeping strong through all of this, although I wouldn't expect any less from you.

    On a brighter note, your bedroom redesign is impeccable. So lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jenn-Thanks for your lovely comment-much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete