Monday, December 28, 2009

A Single Man-Charlotte's House


I saw It's Complicated last night and absolutely loved it. Run out and see it. But this is not a post about the sets of Nancy Meyers which, although they are always spot on for the characters, are not my personal taste-too beige and dull and generic. I am however dying to see the sets of A Single Man when it opens in D.C. The directorial debut of the mega-talented Tom Ford, it stars Colin Firth as George, a gay college professor still reeling from the death of his long-time partner and Julianne Moore as Charlotte (Charley), London socialite, close friend and former lover. Sounds like a Gucci Brokeback Mountain. Set in the sixties, the production designer is the brilliant Dan Bishop of Mad Men. Like Charlotte and Tony Duquette, coral is my beige. I can't wait to see Charlotte's Hollywood Regency house with its circular silk couch, the lavish dressing table, gorgeous colors and fabrics, and Chinoiserie nod. I'll take this entire glamorous and dramatic look with the updo hairstyles, heavy eyeliner, and gorgeous clothes and cars. With Tom Ford's amazing eye and all the Oscar buzz attendant to this film, I can't wait.



18 comments:

  1. What a fun blog you have, just found you via Little Augury. I really enjoyed the wacky upside down tree, quite zany!
    Reggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. And the movie is great!
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delightful set! So glad to hear about this! Now I am excited.

    xx,
    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a sigh of relief you hear from the snowbound middle of the country. I hear all of the raves about the newest Meyer interior and my heart went thud: BORING. It's beige and unlike you, I abhor orange. Do like the kitchen and the garden shots. I agree that A Single Man holds more promise. Glad to hear you feel the same. It can get a little lonely when you decide not to march bootstrap to the norm! And that's why your blog offers a true breath of individual, personal fresh air!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth -I'm going to see it tonight, and CAN'T WAIT! I saw Nine the other day and it's quite a feast for the eyes as well, but in a totally different way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. when my son goes back to school i am so going to see the ford film. it sounds uh-mazing. happy new year! xo kitty

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmmm - two more films I will have to see!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, Beth, I don't like to post two comments on the same post, BUT just wanted to say that I saw the film last night, and it is stunning! The story is universal, sad, uplifting, and sweet. The sets, wardrobe, and actors.... well, they are the beautifully decadent icing on the all ready delicious cake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reggie-Not sure I like the wacky adjective (LOL), but thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sam-I see that it's at the E Street Cinema.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Home Before Dark-The kitchen and the potager garden were lovely. Funny that the movie was about her getting a new kitchen. You comments are always wonderful. P.S. I would not say that I am a fan of orange, but I do love coral pink, salmon pink, and orangey pinks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Scott-I just saw that it's in DC and Bethesda. What are we all rednecks in Virginia?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kitty-Have fun skiing and Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lady Jicky-Some things worth seeing for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Scott-Thanks for the mini review. I can't wait to see it. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can't wait to see A Single Man either -- Colin Firth is a favorite of mine and the stylish '60s decor will be great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Averill-I know it will be great. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete