Friday, March 12, 2010

Chinoiserie Walls-Black


Black walls have become quite the trend in interior design over the past few years. Adding a dose of Chinoiserie to the black gives it a real wow factor. Choices abound-black background wallpaper, black background art, stenciling, a large black Chinese screen in lieu of a black wall, or Chinoiserie furniture or accessories that will really pop against the black walls.

Kelley Proxmire


Sherrill Canet


Kelly Wearstler

Ryan Korban



Stenciled walls


Black background Chinoiserie art-Harrison Howard




Alessandra Branca

Black walls with Chinoiserie art


A black Chinese screen


Thibaut wallpaper




Fromental wallcovering




Farrow & Ball wallpaper




15 comments:

  1. I love black walls. I once upon a time had them in my dining room but I don't think my 1800 s.f. rental ranch can handle it. I've even had a black ceiling in a powder room, it was gorgeous. Thanks for the beautiful pics and your wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really does give a room a "wow factor." It is so dramatic and elegant at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am liking the black colored walls....... instant glamour!
    L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah beautiful! I've been drawn to black wallpaper lately.

    I just blogged about that fab Nina Campbell black wallpaper that we all know and love from Domino.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Fromental wallcovering is to die for.

    I remember when my cousin painted her small formal living room black almost a decade ago -- everyone thought she was crazy, but really she was just way ahead of the curve.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll admit it is a trend I am not loving. That said, that Fromental wallcovering is to die for....it may have changed my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the first photo, where is it from?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these images, have just used the shade in the Kelly Wearster pic, which to me is not black rather a deep green/ blue Prussian Blue I guess> Could just be the lighting though.

    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  9. D.B.-Thank you! Maybe your next house they will work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. La Maison Fou-With Chinoiserie, black walls have that glamorous Hollywood Regency look.

    ReplyDelete
  11. High Heeled Foot in the door-That's a wonderful wallpaper.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Averill-Fromental is gorgeous in any color.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Susie-In general, I don't like it either. With Chinoiserie, it brings the black to life and I am starting to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Karena-Lighting and computer monitors do make things look different. It may be a Prussian blue, but black would work as well.

    ReplyDelete