Friday, September 16, 2011

Katie Rosenfeld - A Fresh Look at Chinoiserie


I first discovered the work of Boston based Katie Rosenfeld several months ago, and was immediately drawn to her use of Chinoiserie. I thought she would be a wonderful addition to our series on interior designers. Katie was born and raised in Florida and has lived and worked in New York City, Los Angeles, and Boston. I think you can see in her portfolio the influence of Florida and California in her use of color like blues and greens, the sophistication of New York City, and the tradition of Boston - a wonderful mix. Her look is fresh, clean, bright, comfortable, modern, yet classic. You will see in each of her rooms Chinoiserie elements.

Q - How do you use Chinoiserie?

A - How do I NOT use Chinoiserie; I need to refrain from Chinoiserie-overload!  I am always attracted to Chinese forms and shapes: pagodas, trellis, fretwork, Chinese Chippendale, bamboo, high gloss lacquer.  I use Chinoiserie on each and every project in multiple forms.  

Q - Why do you like to use Chinoiserie?

A - To me, Chinoiserie in all it's iterations - complements any design genre from traditional to uber-modern.  I love adding crusty Chinese case goods or Chinese porcelain or rugs to a clean modern space. Alternatively, a pagoda-inspired console with clean modern lines or a Kang-Legged lacquered linen-wrapped coffee table in a more traditional space gives a fun twist.

Q - What does Chinoiserie add to a room?

A - Depends on the application, it can add geometry/shape, color, history, tradition, anything you need it to add!

Q - What are your favorite Chinoiserie pieces?

A - Hmm, that's really tough.  But, to name a few: Baker's Bamboo Server, Century's Oscar de la Renta Pagoda Cabinet and Asian Buffet, Ellis Side Tables from Furniture Guild, and Bungalow 5 Case Goods. I also LOVE old Chinese figures; I make them into lamps.  And old crusty Chinese armoires and altar tables....

Q - To what do you attribute Chinoiserie’s appeal for centuries and its recent resurgence?

A - I didn't know it ever went "out" of style. Something that is timeless stays in fashion forever - like a little black dress to me!




















Oscar de la Renta Pagoda Bar Cabinet

Oscar de la Renta Chinese Credenza

Baker Bamboo Server

Furniture Guild Cocktail Table

Bungalow 5 Jacqui Desk

5 comments:

  1. Beth my heart is pounding! I adore Katie's design works. Each and every image is beautiful. Her use of fresh greens and blues really makes the difference!

    The Bamboo Server and Bungalow 5 desk are perfect.Of course I love them all.

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    I hope you will come over and enter my amazing giveaway from Interieurs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one spectacular portfolio! I love how fresh, yet comfortable, everything is. Once again, you have me wishing I could gut every room and decorate again with abandon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your blog :)
    its amazing and this photos are beautiful :)

    santiroyalhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW ~ This so fuels my CC addiction! Katie rocks! THX Beth!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK my eyeballs are popping out of my head! there is so much loveliness here...I am a bit stuck on that very first chair.

    ReplyDelete