Wednesday, October 23, 2013

One Room Challenge - The Fun Has Begun!


I had a very exciting and successful week in my One Room Challenge laundry room. (To start from the beginning of my laundry room makeover, click here). On Saturday, I found this enormous 30" antique ginger jar at a vintage and antique warehouse that just opened up the street from me. It is a real statement piece. Who says you can't use Chinoiserie in a laundry room? Remember my two inspiration laundry rooms?

Draza Stamenich

Loren Audrey Taylor


 I won the ottoman above at a local auction house for $50.00. It is Ralph Lauren Home and has the original tags still on it ($1,100.00) from a very spiffy store in Alexandria. The colors are perfect for my blue and white room. I also love combining checks and Chinoiserie.


I decided I wanted a really great laundry hamper. I have never been a fan of those covered ones for wet towels and such. I got this commercial style divided hamper from Crate and Barrel and I couldn't be happier. It is from Steele - an American company that has made commercial grade canvas products since 1921.


I bought three of these rugs from Ikea to make a runner. Once I got them home, I decided I have really grown attached to the black and white tile floor all by itself. These are going back.


I found this brand new Smith & Noble dupioni silk roman shade in my exact dimensions on eBay for next to nothing - $40.00 and it would have retailed for about $400.00. The customer changed their mind or something. It is a top down/bottom up shade which is the craziest thing I have ever seen. I figured my curtain hanger would make it work as a regular roman shade, but he has cancelled on me three times and I have given up on the idiot. I will try installing it myself. Help! I hate DIY!

*UPDATE - I decided to just go hang the thing myself and voila! Time to celebrate my great DIY achievement with a glass of bubbly.


This laundry room below was my inspiration for the table and seating I wanted for my own laundry room.



I bought this Ava X desk in antique white from Pottery Barn to use as a multi-purpose work surface.  It was super easy to assemble and looks great. I think the glass top will be very functional for all I plan to use it for.


I didn't want the seating to look like a desk chair and I wanted something edgy and kind of industrial. I found these stools at Rejuvenation and they are perfect. They are based on 1930's French industrial stools.

This coming week I will be accessorizing with lots of blue and white and Chinoiserie including goodies from my sponsors and friends of CC.


I hope the others have been busy - only two weeks until the reveals!

Chinoiserie Chic  - that’s me!

I am taking the rest of the week off from the One Room Challenge and chilling. A brand new HomeGoods opens up the street from me at 8 AM Sunday and I bet I find some great things for my laundry room. Any of you planning on being there for the Grand Opening?

29 comments:

  1. Wow this is going to be some laundry room!!!!! I love the idea of adding a huge ginger jar to it!

    And the window treatment looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving all the furniture you selected for your room! The rolling hamper is fab, I may need to get one of those. Great score on the jar too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did an amazing job with your DIY. I hope you didn't ruin your manicure? Is that a driftwood stool? I just love driftwood, especially when it is painted like that a paired with beautiful fabric. What a score with that shade. This is the chic-est laundry room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I come and live in your laundry room? It looks like it will be amazing and I am loving all of the great pieces you have found!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh! I saw that temple jar in the Big Green Building near you, and thought too long about buying it! Drat! Lucky you! See you at the Grand Opening!

    Jane
    Alexandria, VA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is such a transformation. Looking beautiful. The ginger jar is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, great finds on your part!! You did a great job with the shade too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beth what amazing pieces you've found! Love the Ginger Jar and the Ralph Lauren Piece, perfect!
    Great job on the Roman Shades! Saved yourself some money too!

    xoxo
    Karena
    New_2013 Designer Series

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK...you really scored for this laundry room with the wallpaper and shades on Ebay. Might have to start cruising while I am watching TV at night! The ottoman is awesome and love all the other beauties you picked up:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This will definitely be the best laundry room in history. Pure perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so impressed! I have a looooong way 2 go in 2 weeks! Cannot wait to see this FAB laundry room.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! That ginger jar is gorgeous and goes so well with the beautiful ottoman. Great finds. Can't wait for the reveal!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW you've made great progress! Cheers on your great finds and you rocked that DIY project! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your laundry room is fast becoming one my favorites in the ORC planet. And a big atta' girl on your DIY. Next thing we'll read and you'll have your own CC inspired tool box! Love your enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I want to move in to your laundry room. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super delightful! I want to live in your laundry room.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everything you've found is beautiful!! What a deal on that to-die-for ginger jar. I'm impressed you hung the shade yourself -- it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. When do you need your laundry done? Im there!!!

    Best,
    Karolyn

    ReplyDelete
  19. What fab selections! I like your choices better than your inspiration rooms. I can't wait to see the finished reveal. That ginger jar is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good for you on the diy! The shade is so pretty and the wallpaper is so fun! I thinking folding laundry in here is going to be a treat! Oh, and PS - my walllpaper hangers had no trouble at all hanging that horizontally.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so impressed with the entire thing...vision, diy, scores, and the fact that you get to take the week off!! Enjoy Homegoods!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great stool and hammer. Can I do my laundry and your house...in my dreams?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amazing progress! I really can't wait to see the final room. And that RL stool - amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love that you kept it real by sharing the return of the IKEA rugs. Any blue and white bargain is worth celebrating! This room is going to be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. oh my gosh 30" ginger jar! how massive and amazing. Love your pagodas. You are really lucking out with you some great deals.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are off to a roaring start with the Ginger Jar!!! Luv it! franki

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are going to have the best looking laundry room in town...love all of your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That ginger jar is to die for!! Your room is so fantastic, Beth! I'm dying to see the end result!! And I am still drooling over that wallpaper...

    XOXO,
    The Glam Pad

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beth this is looking amazing. Love that 30" ginger jar. Your rooms always look fantastic and this is going to top the list as well. Ive been on vacation for 3 weeks, so I have alot of catching up to do!
    Best of luck
    xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete