Monday, April 21, 2014

Entertaining with Chinoiserie

Susan Gutfreund - Veranda
 I hope everyone had a lovely Easter weekend. Mine could not have been more stressful. We discovered late Friday that our next door neighbors intend to put up a massive fence between our yards. Their insisted placement of it on the property line will destroy the beautiful boundary line border of gorgeous mature trees and wonderful shrubs like camellias and viburnum that have served as a divider for many decades. Our neighborhood is one of old historic homes, small lots, and large mature trees, close to DC, and this would have a terrible impact on our property.

My husband is off to try to get an injunction while I have to keep a watchful eye out for the fencers and call the police as they have no permit which is required. Not a fun week in store here.

Let's look at some Chinoiserie beauty to distract me - the home of interior designer Susan Gutfreund from Veranda filled with Chinoiserie. The full article is here.

If my posting is a bit shortened or erratic this week, you will understand why.

Susan Gutfreund - Veranda

Susan Gutfreund - Veranda

Suan Gutfreund - Veranda

10 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry this is happening. I have been through a border war with a neighbor. They are not pretty things. Hoping for the best. Fingers crossed. Champagne may need to be applied as needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that things get better. Some people are so self-centered.
    Gorgeous images.
    Teresa
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Beth,

    So sorry to hear about your incident with the neighbors. I am going through one myself right now. I hope yours is resolved quickly. They can be long, painful and expensive, but if they don't have a permit, it would seem that things would turn out in your favor. Good luck. KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON!

    On a brighter note, I have to say I LOVE your blog. It's always so beautiful to look at and read. I can tell you put a lot of love and energy into it and it shows!

    Lisa D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very sorry about the fence conflict. Am hoping it turns out in your favor. To more peaceful days in the very near future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear beth,
    Oh no! We live in an older suburb on Long Island(close to NYC) and the lovely 1920's homes are being knocked down left and right for oversized mcmansions. I feel your pain! Best of luck!!!!
    -linda,ny

    ReplyDelete
  6. In our area you need a permit to remove trees and another permit to install a fence. I will be curious to see how this goes. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you prevail in the fence situation. Especially since it doesn't sound like they are following the proper channels -- and destroying what sounds like a beautiful border of trees and shrubs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear this! In DC without a permit, you may be able to slow them down significantly using Forest Conservation Act and other such legislation as well

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband is an ASLA and FCA certified to testify in these sorts of disputes. That approach almost always stops the objectionable fencing and tree destruction. Love your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Neighbors from h*ll. We have them on either side of us; hellish in different ways. It is extremely stressful and I'll pass along the wise words my kind neighbor from across the street said to me: DON'T LET THEM STEAL YOUR JOY.

    Hope wiser heads prevail in your situation.

    ReplyDelete