Wednesday, February 6, 2013

One Room Challenge - Week 1 - Inspiration Board


Welcome to the One Room Challenge. If this is your first day tuning in, you might like to check out my preview posts from Monday and Tuesday. Twenty interior designers, interior design bloggers, and DIY bloggers have been invited to participate by our fearless leader Linda of My Crafty Home Life. We each have six weeks from today to transform a room of our choosing. All participants post their progress each Wednesday.

I will be redoing my powder room shown in the photo below. OK, so it's not really my powder room, but I got your attention, right?


Shown below are the real pictures of the room. It is actually a second powder room off the garage and laundry room. I have kept the door closed since we moved in and pretended it doesn't exist. I have included lots of photos to give you a good idea of how really bad it is. Two walls are panelling and two are drywall. There are plumbing access panels in one wall to an adjoining bathroom and in the ceiling to the kitchen plumbing. The toilet fits in a hole cut out of the wall because the toilet rough-in is only 8 inches. The toilet was removed to snake the sewer line and never reinstalled. The sink and window are both awful as is the unpainted particle board door. The bathroom looks like it belongs in a prison cell.

At the top is my inspiration board, inspired by a Ralph Lauren Chinoiserie toile that I love. My goals for this week are to get the plumber in to put in a new sink, faucet, and toilet and to get my painter in to paint it. Then I will have a clean slate to start playing with and the fun can begin.

At the bottom of this post you will find a list of all the participants and their links.















These are all the participants in the One Room Challenge. Click on them to see what the others are planning -


25 comments:

  1. You had me really scared with that first image. OK, it's not the pretty powder room of your dreams...but it will be when you are done with it. Why is there a hole in the wall? That electrical plug looks dangerous and is obviously not to code. You have your hands full on this one. I can't wait to see the after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great opening picture! Best of luck with your project and getting a good start on your check list!
    xo Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is going to be good! Look forward to following along on your bathroom makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot wait to see the transformation!! You are going to work miracles, I just know it!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say you have the best "before" photos! It is going to look stunning after you are finished with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Beth, I was feeling SO sorry for you when I saw that before! :) You'll be bringing guests in through the garage door when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm impressed that you're taking this on! But, I have no doubt you'll turn it into something gorgeous! Love your inspiration board -- can't wait to see what you do here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this lends itself to some great one liners.... I will refrain ~ Oh crap who am I kidding... Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to read your blog and can't wait to see the finished product! And where did you find that darling wastebasket in your inspiration board?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is going to be DRAMATIC!! Can't wait to see how it progresses. Will you be removing the toilet yourself? Haha. xo, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woah I can see why you have kept the door shut here. But that being said I think you might have the most dramatic before and afters and I cant WAIT to see what you do with this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Something tells me you are going to make this powder room sing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Agreed! This IS going to be a dramatic transformation! You're going to show that powder room who's boss!! In a beautiful ladylike way of course. All the best Beth!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't wait to see what you do! Love the wallpaper idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bet when you are finished you want to peek in the room all the time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Woah! That first bathroom looks like the one from Trainspotting. :) Love your plan!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, you have your work cut out for you. In love with the inspiration board!

    www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beth once you get your clean slate you will do wonders with this room. I love decorating powder rooms. I have always said, you can't make them look bigger so make them like the perfect little jewel box. Looking forward to seeing all of your beautiful touches.
    Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow you had me going for a second. I can't wait to see the finished product. I know it will be beautiful. - Brandy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Whew...you scared me! But....to be honest you do have your work cut out for you.....I love that you are already thinking about the pretty design part....I like to start with that also:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love powder rooms! With your style I know it's going to be fab. But that first image terrified me! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your inspiration pictures. Looking forward to following your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  23. There are few things I love more than a Chinoiserie bathroom. Can't wait to see this one come together.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is going to be one dramatic transformation. Can't wait to see how it comes out.

    ReplyDelete